I’ve really loved using the weekly CSA farm share from Lazy Creek Farm as the basis of my weekly menu. It is forcing me to incorporate more veggies into our diet and eat healthier meals. Here you can see what I got in the delivery box, plus I had bought some romaine lettuce and avocados at Costco and had a spaghetti squash and some other bits of veggies left over that must go. I wasn’t sure what the long green crooked neck squash was called, but I received an e-mail from from the CSA saying that it was Tromboncino, or little trumpet. All the seeds are in the bulbous end and the flesh is yellow and much denser than zucchini. I also found it to be a little sweeter than zucchini. Its awesome to experience new foods and continue to encourage adventurous eating habits for the whole family. Anyway, here is what I planned for this weeks menu based on the produce that is in season and should be cheaper for you at the local grocery store too.
- Meat and veggie sloppy joes-add cabbage to stretch the meat and reduce the calories… my family doesn’t know the difference.
- Homemade hamburger buns
- Rosemary and olive oil beet chips
- Corn, avocado, and tomato salad with lime vinaigrette
- Mussgo, freezer meal, or meal not prepped from last week
- Oven roasted spaghetti squash with marinara and Italian sausage
- Homemade Italian bread
- Garden salad
- Slow cooker Indian spiced lentils-I used chopped beet greens in place of the spinach
- Brown Basmati rice
- Garlic naan bread
- Baked apples with oatmeal topping
- Chipotle lime shredded pork tacos
- Mexican rice-I cooked up too much rice on Monday, so I re-purposed it for tonight by adding in a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos and the grilled Tromboncino squash. you could easily substitute zucchini.
- Corn, avocado, and tomato salad with lime vinaigrette-yes a repeat, but the avocados must go!
- Salmon patties
- Lemony Ricotta Summer Squash Galette
- Garden salad using up any of those CSA veggies you have left
- Mussgo (or in our case KFC from the drive thru as Baby and I had to take Husband 2 hours away to the airport after getting the 2 older kids on the school bus and getting back in time to get them, then run Fancy to dance lessons…it was a long and exhausting day!)
Starting with next weeks meal plan, I am doing a “Fall back on the Pantry” challenge to use up the accumulate mussgo items from my freezer and pantry. It’s also a great way to catch up or pay ahead on any bills or save for the upcoming holidays. I’m not sure how far into October the CSA will continue, but besides what we already have, picking up WIC milk for Baby, and the weekly produce box, I am not going to buy any other groceries. My goal is ZERO spent at the store from September 21-October 19…but I have set $20 max aside in an envelope for my grocery budget just in case.
PS > > >Make sure you are following my Facebook page because I have a giveaway coming up on Friday! I have to check the collaboration rules, but a comment on Friday’s blog post could give you an extra entry!
3 Responses to Weekly meal Plan 9/23-9/29/2016…more farm share goodies!